Health Conditions : Acid Reflux
The main symptoms of acid reflux are:
heartburn – a burning sensation in the middle of your chest
an unpleasant sour taste in your mouth, caused by stomach acid
You may also have:
a cough or hiccups that keep coming back
a hoarse voice
bloating and feeling sick
Your symptoms will either be worse after eating or better, worse when lying down and when bending over.
Causes of heartburn and acid reflux
Lots of people get heartburn from time to time. There's often no obvious reason why.
Sometimes it's caused or made worse by:
- certain food and drink – such as coffee, alcohol, chocolate and fatty or spicy foods
- being overweight
- stress and anxiety
- some medicines, such as anti-inflammatory painkillers (like ibuprofen)
- eating late at night
- eating too much
- vegetables, as they are naturally low in fat and sugar, and can help reduce stomach acid.
- ginger- a natural anti-inflammatory
- oats- a great breakfast option
- non citrus fruits
- lean meats and fish
- healthy fats - such as as avocado, walnuts.
Lifestyle Factors that may help
- avoid alcohol
- maintain a healthy weight
- remain upright for at least 2 hours after eating
- raise the head of your bed four to six inches at the headboard end to reduce reflux symptoms whilst sleeping
- avoid chewing gum
- eat slowly