When we look at immunity, it’s really important that are gut is functioning well, as 70% of our immunity sits in the gut.
So what do we mean by a well-functioning gut?
- Well-formed stools that are easy to pass, ideally once or twice a day
- No abdominal pain
- No excessive bloating or gas after meals
Commonly, antibiotics that kill harmful bacteria, also kill off some of your gut bacteria that assist with immunity.
The Benefits of oats are that they contain something called beta glucans;
What is it?
Beta Glucan is a natural polysaccharide that is classified as an Immuno-Modulator; meaning, it “modulates” (changes) your Immune System to make it as efficient as possible. This fibre-like molecule works by activating every Immune System Cell in the body: Macrophages, Neutrophils, Basophils, Natural Killer Cells, etc.
Here’s some suggestions with oats
- Bircher muesli
- Normal porridge topped with berries ( full of antioxidants)
- Add it to a smoothie
- Make a nut brittle or snack with oats, that kids will love.
There are other benefits to oats
- Its soluble fibre so it makes you feel full for longer, daily requirement for soluble fibre is 28-30g per day. The average adult in the UK eats about 14g.
- It can help lower cholesterol
- It stabilises blood sugar levels
- It’s also great for assisting the detoxification of hormones
Naturally oats are gluten free, but if you must absolutely avoid gluten, buy a brand that is gluten free as this is then certified gluten free from cross contamination.